Pages

Friday, October 7, 2022

Phone Bank


As a political committee member I have an obligation to support our candidates.  As somebody who might like to move ahead, I have a parallel obligation to myself to do a few things that I'd prefer not to do.  A two-for=one came my way with a mass invitation to man a phone bank on behalf of our state representative, one who did not make a good impression on me but a trusted friend vouched for.  I assume our state Senator, who I do admire, will get some support from the phone effort as well.

This late in the campaign season, I assume the focus, or script if they provide us one, will be to encourage people to cast their ballots.  The party registration balance favors my Democrats so turnout correlates with victory, even if we get some Republicans to turn out as a byproduct of the phone effort.  This late in the season, Dialing for Dollars has long passed.

I don't particularly like being on phone squads, but I am part of the group and need to take my turn.  In all likelihood, technology has advanced some since I last called a list for the synagogue some time ago.  That list was about a dozen, all with some attachment and no hostility.  I don't know if this session will only call registered Democrats or a broader public.  See how it goes.  The date I picked, and I only picked one, comes about two weeks before Election Day and maybe a week before voluntary early voting, which I plan to do myself.  If the session goes well, I will have the option of doing another.  And I could use a new experience.

No comments: