Pages

Friday, May 5, 2023

Creating Dinner Menus


Two upcoming special suppers, Mother's Day and Shavuot.  The latter is typically dairy, with several justifications provided for this by the sages.  Mother's Day is simply a special effort, centerpieced with something either difficult to obtain or difficult to prepare, expanded to something special, though constrained a tad by it falling on Sunday.  Shavuot this year spans Thursday night, which is usually a limited offering of blintzes or quiche, and a more elaborate shabbos dinner, with fish as the centerpiece of a meal that is otherwise dairy.  And perfect excuse to have shabbos guests.

Shavuot menu seemed easier to assemble, as coulibiac makes a perfect main course that I've made enough times before.  It takes some effort, with shopping, preparing the rough puff pastry in advance, and finally baking, after a multi-stepped assembly.  And for dessert, apple walnut pie made famous by the Fish Market of Philadelphia, z"l, where we used to splurge for special occasions.  Then fill in the middle.  A soup, a salad.  No need for starch as the fish pie has rice, and a vegetable.  Then a wine.

Mother's Day is more pluripotent.  I have a veal roast sitting in the freezer forever, far too big for the two of us, though a lot of people now object to veal on ethical grounds so it may not be the best option for guests.  I have a package of sliced corned beef, frozen forever, not likely to appear in the Shop-Rite kosher meat case again.  I bought a brisket on sale and have made my own corned beef from that cut a few times.  And my wife really likes rib steaks, now quite expensive, though excellent cuts just came on the shelf at Trader Joe's.  Probably best option.  And for a fleishig meal, her favorite dessert would be torta del re, which I've made many times.  Intricate preparation, usually comes out very well.  Perhaps I will need to get a spring form once size smaller than the one I've been using.  Then fill out the rest: a starter, a salad, starch, vegetable, wine.

These efforts challenge my imagination and skill.  Since they require planning and sometimes detailed assembly, as well as juggling components at the time of preparation, I find the composite effort personally gratifying.  And somebody else gets to enjoy the result with me.

No comments: