Pages

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Worth the Fee

When I opted to let my medical licenses lapse, that rather large sum of $885 spread over two years would be allocated to immersing myself with other people, as post-retirement senior loneliness has taken hold.  I have forums for engagement, the synagogue where I have been more assertive about bantering at kiddush and OLLI where I randomly pick conversation partners, probably with less success.  None of this comes out of those savings, but are ordinary allocated expenses.  I might rejoin the regional Endocrine Society after a year's absence, if only to sit at a table with other doctors and exchange greetings with pharmaceutical representatives once a month. 

Next week I have the fiftieth anniversary of my college graduation.  Festivities for my landmark class have been arranged.  I knew very few people who RSVPd their intent to be there, yet there are a lot of people.  Cost $50 + parking and missing shabbos, though technically I could go to their Hillel that morning.  Maybe I will.  There are tours.  There is a luncheon, including a Kosher option.  And everyone there has at least one thing in common with me.  And it's immersion in a throng of the unfamiliar, something currently lacking.  Worth the effort.  Worth the fee.

No comments: