Pages

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Getting Out


Each day I try to go someplace, even in the days of peak pandemic.  There are lots of destinations, some satisfying, many not.  Cafe Tamar, an evening of entertainment, left me feeling isolated among a throng of familiar people.  I did better at Trader Joe's or the library with many fewer unfamiliar people.  And today the doctor's office in the afternoon.  Out somewhere each day. 

Places that I go are plentiful: supermarket, library, Boscov's, sometimes Five Below, sit at one of several nearby state or county parks, synagogue, on occasion out for breakfast or Brew HaHa.  Places that generate satisfaction after being there are many fewer.  I never regret sipping coffee at Brew HaHa or deciding between needs and wants at Trader Joe's.  The park or shul generates a less fulfilled sense when I depart.  I'm probably more engaged looking at what TJ has on its shelves or allowing my mind to have free rein in exchange for my $3 coffee.  

There are places I used to go to more.  Going to a mall for its own sake, Costco to see what's there, and Walmart without a specific item in mind have largely stopped.  I go to the two Farmer's Markets much less.  Almost never go out for a slice of pizza or to get a hoagie.  A brew at Happy Hour with a notebook to record my thoughts probably stopped with the pandemic.  I will still go downstate, though always planned.  And day trips to the Big Apple for the purpose of a day a way went the way of the cheap local bus.

And there's where I've not gone but could.  Have not been to the local attractions that generate outside visitors, our legacy mansions, our waterfront, our nature reserves.  Not been to much in the way of museums of late.  Never went to the movies on my own or really sought spectator type entertainment.  Haven't been to the ballpark in years.

Perhaps the purpose of going out is to have an alternative to being at home.  Under those circumstances the destination does not matter a lot.  The park will serve that need conveniently and economically.


No comments: