Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Early Awakening

After making great strides this calendar year with better sleep, incorporated as a component of healthier living, a notable but consistent setback emerged in the past month.  No matter what preparation I take, my internal clock awakes me at about 4AM.  It is not nocturia, which has gotten less, but failure to pass from one sleep cycle of 90 minutes or so to the next.  Typically the close of a sleep cycle brings people to a twilight rather than wakefulness.  I do very well with the previous cycles but at 4AM I pass into wakefulness without feeling fully rested.  Indeed, I can fall back asleep but the new waking time takes me past the 7AM latest arising that I had set for myself and was so successful for so long.  And my energy dissipates over the day, inducing a nap which may create something of a viscous cycle.

Reviewing classic sleep hygiene recommendations, I do pretty well though not perfectly both in the habit and environmental guidance. There is a set wake time, adhered to until this setback arose.  I have a reasonably set bed time, though without the ritual of relaxation.  Last caffeine is at noon, last alcohol typically a glass of sherry late afternoon or beer as my supper beverage, never both.  I have not done as well avoiding catnaps or avoiding using the bed for things other than sleep, though I cannot figure out why that would play out as a new consistent pattern of early wakefulness.  I could do better with putting a time cap on the screens though, particularly the smart phone which connects me to the world.  I have set a moratorium from 11PM to 5:30AM with mostly good adherence.  



My sleep environment could not be better.  Light blocking shades work well.  The room is quiet unless my wife or I intentionally play sleep sounds, which are mostly effective at creating sleep onset.  Great mattress from IKEA, down comforter, decent pillow options, smooth sheets, space heater for when needed.  No recent changes in any of these.  

Where I might do better, and once did do better, is not allowing myself to stay awake in bed too long.  If I fail to fall asleep I go back to my Man Cave for some TV.  When I awake at 4AM I accept that, stay in bed, focus on the comfort of being there, even if awake, and wait for the next sleep cycle, even if it ultimately takes me past the set awake time.  I don't know if that's the best course.

Next step seems to be avoidance of the bed for reading or napping.  Give that a go for a month and see what plays out.



No comments: