Pages

Monday, December 21, 2020

Failing Aerogarden


One among my many horticultural frustrations has been the inability to harvest my aerogarden.  I bought it on sale many years ago, used the seeds and medium that came in the kit along with the fertilizer pellets.  So far so good.  Never got a great harvest.  Subsequently, I have replanted herbs many times, using some potting soil and vermiculite.  Basil always takes root in the hydroponic environment, most other herbs less so.  This time I thought I had it going.  Basil abundant, though tall enough to have the upper leaves singed by the fluorescent light.  Oregano sprouted, parsley OK, dill recognizable, tarragon with full sprouts, coriander failed to sprout.  I watched it, mixed some generic plant food with water in the concentration recommended, and fed the plants.

Today, the dill and tarragon have met their end, oregano less abundant, parsley a little shvok, but basil appeared sturdy.  I assume the additive was toxic, though there might be other possibilities.  Since having optimal gardens indoors and out has a place on the next set of semi-annual initiatives, I will salvage what I can, then after the new year, reassess and try again.

No comments: