Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Wrapping Gifts

Hanukkah approaches.  I try to maintain family traditions inherited from my in-laws though not successfully adapted by my children.  Each person gets one small gift to open each night. That way we avoid the extravagant.  More importantly, we have to think a little about the recipient and what things promote a small amount of pleasure.  I know who likes cats, regional sports, travel, some kitchen time, and some libations.  All easy to accommodate with four gifts each to my daughter, daughter-in-law, and son, with a double portion to my wife, who will also seek out four per child and eight to her spouse.  That's forty presents, and even with a $10 limit, it can add up, though I usually purchase well below maximum.

As children, and sometimes as college students who return home for winter break, I could just wrap each and hand it to them as each candle on our menorah is lit.  I still can for my wife and she for me.  If they came for Thanksgiving, I had all prepared to be toted back to their city.  Between distance, marriage, and Covid, it's all dependent on shipping by mail or other conveyance.

I have not included shipping in what I allot for each present but does affect the selection.  Things made of cloth, small jewelry, and textiles are light.  They don't break.  Edibles travel easily as well but the cost of transport sometimes exceeds the cost of product.  But with a little ingenuity, I've gathered what I need.  Only one poses a breakage risk and weight concern but it's so perfect that I'll just give it extra attention.  Some stuff can go in boxes, others better in gift bags which can then go into a corrugated box.  I harvested more than I need.  Have scissors, tape, plenty of Hanukkah and non-holiday wrapping.  And today I have motivation.



No comments: