Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Waiting for the Buzz

For $30 I obtained a basic smart watch, an iTouch that coordinates with my smart phone.  Some things it does well, like keep time.  Some things it does poorly, like track sleep times.  And it has features that I've not used, either for lack of importance or not worth the trouble of learning how.  One very useful feature, probably worth the purchase price and the annoyance of fairly frequent recharging, has been the alarms. It offers three, all programmed via the coordinating smart phone.  One has been set to 6:30AM, my desired wake time, one to 9:05PM my daily reminder to count Omer, and the other left as a one time use, generally a prod to turn on Zoom for some event that day.

Now I will never forget, or if I don't arise at the time set by Sleep Hygiene efforts, it will be with some intent, or at least rationalization.  And it has been helpful for Omer.  But can I arise or count Omer before the reminder buzzes?  Perhaps it should get a penalty like beginning a race before the starter's pistol makes its bang.  Jumping the gun with my wake time has not gone well the rest of the days when I've done that.  Fixed times for arising may be the crux of sleep hygiene at both ends, separating sleep time to wake time with the purpose not of sleep but of optimal function the next day.  After my last misadventure arising before the signal, I decided not to try that again for a while.

Counting Omer is a little different.  There is a earliest time on the clock when the daily count may be done.  My reminder goes off well after that largely so I do not have to set it again before Shavuot.  But I know when the next shabbos ends so if I wait until that time, I should be able to count Omer even if before my set alarm.  Again, I opted not to do it early.  I want Omer counting to emerge as a daily habit, something best done with linkage, like Pavlov's Dog.  The vibration on my left wrist after dark means I must head downstairs for the daily Omer count. Computers having the capacity that they do, if I am at a screen with internet, I can get the daily count, blessing, and follow-up benediction from the screen, but going downstairs has set as part of the ritual, so the 9:05PM vibratory reminder is really to go downstairs.

While the iTouch can be used to create habits, and therefore expendable once the habit has established itself, sometimes it ingrains as part of the habit.  That's why I think it best not to act early but to wait for the buzz each morning and each night.


No comments: