Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

What Might I Do Instead?


FB and Twitter and perhaps much of You Tube need to be put on hiatus. They have become too intrusive. I've done this before, permanently for Sermo, and our former President and a few others have been evicted from their favorite platforms.  I depart voluntarily for my own benefit.  

Doubt if I'll miss Twitter, it's not very interactive, which is what I seek.  FB has its merits which need better personal management than I provided myself, but the separation is only intended until the upcoming Mothers Day when the themes of the screens will change from stoking political beliefs to expressing appreciation.

That affords me about ten days without this distraction.  On day 1 I set out my herb garden, used the backyard hose for the first time this season, took my sketch pad and some pencils to a local park, made a disappointing tour of the Pennsylvania Walmart to see what they had in terms of fishing gear and herb seeds.  My OLLI class was approached with more focus.  I even took out my adult coloring book and pencils, which had been left untouched on my desk for maybe a year.  No FOMO at all, just opportunity.  No particular withdrawal symptoms thus far, either.

Looking at other things I haven't done: harmonica has not been studied in a while, my writing goals drag behind schedule, an afternoon at the putting green or driving range would offer some pleasure, as would an afternoon at a pond.  All neglected.  FB and Twitter were never neglected, yet less on fulfillment than those other things I've not done.  

No comments: