Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2021

Bagel and a Schmear





Not been to Einstein Bagels in a long time.  It used to be a Sunday morning destination when I had one of their $1 coffee mugs, where I would take my weekly planning pouch, sip the coffee while I outline the coming week.  The deal disappeared as did the mug.  From time to time they would also offer a bagel with cream cheese and coffee for $1.99 with a coupon, that I always had.  Brew HaHa across the street at the next strip mall had better coffee so I went there instead.  Then, between retiring and Covid, and the creation of My Space, I just did coffee and planning at home each Sunday morning.

Einstein's returned the coupon, this time $3 instead of $2 but adapted to other price rises, still worth purchasing one time, which is all they allow for this.  I went as a treat to myself for doing something important, though I cannot remember what.  Being early winter with a mask to protect the public if not myself, my bifocals promptly fogged so I couldn't see anything on the menu board.  As I got closer to my turn the fog was less.  I could see some of the bagel options, selecting what they called Ancient Grains.  I could not see the cream cheese selections, but veggie is always safe.  Then a cup to take coffee from their dispenser, ultimately selecting house blend.  Handed the cashier a $5 bill and the coupon.  She scanned the coupon which discounted the total at the register, handed me my change and my bagel in a small bag, and off I went to the coffee dispenser.  

With Covid, they closed their indoor eating tables but still had some outside.  Despite it being mid-December, I took an outdoor table, took small bites from the bagel, sipped coffee, and had a restful few minutes before returning to my car with the rest of the coffee.  

At home, I have bagels in the refrigerator most days, plain cream cheese despite a recent national shortage most of the time, and the ability to make coffee.  Einstein's does not compete successful with coffee, as I have far more than two varieties.  Their bagels and cream cheese are each superior though.  Keep my eye out for the next coupon.

No comments: