Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2021

Upcoming Vacation


While my next getaway, an overdue one, temps me just days away, some of the preparation poses a challenge.  Laundry all done, decide what to take.  It's a two-day drive in each direction covering four states, each with its own toll systems and one that does not accept my Pennsylvania EZ Pass and none that offer a discount for having one.  My account has $18 left, but I'll probably need to enhance that before I leave.  Don't know what to expect for December weather in mid-Kentucky.  Mammoth Cave apparently would make a good wine cellar, easy planning for that.  Should plan for rain too.  Long sleeve weather.  Since I'm driving, I do not have to worry about packing excessively.  Probably fill my wheeled duffle for contingencies. 

I've done two-day drives previously, most recently to Charleston and back a few years ago.  I like the quiet of the highway, really an integral part of getting away and returning home.  There's usually necessary driving breaks with an unexpected search of what's around the area where we take our break.  A winery maybe, a distillery in Idaho once. Often lunch in a town I will never visit again.  Sometimes a roadside sign will prompt a detour.

Mammoth Cave allows fishing so take a few items for that.  A good justification for replacing the broken rod tip on my most versatile rod.  And camera.  Leave laptop home, or take it. Could go either way.  Probably take it.  Passport leave home.  Can get rain poncho from a Walmart if it looks like one will be needed, but take a decent umbrella.  Camera yes for sure.  Tripod, probably.  Don't know where my selfie stick is.  And some chargers.  And some extra cash.  More escape than indulgence but could use a little of each.  They are overdue.

No comments: