Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Choosing My Olli Courses

While their new system of assignment of oversubscribed courses by lottery has removed any urgency to submit my next set of Osher preferences before anyone else, I've been putting the worksheet under other papers to the right of my laptop too long.  I want to enroll in three or four courses at a time, a little less than I undertook in college and a lot less than was assigned in medical school.  One will require performance on my part, either drawing, watercolor, or music, the other three didactic in some way.  I look forward to in-person resumption, as much of the benefit of the OLLI program has been a form of loneliness therapy.  Efficacy of a chat and coffee far exceeds a screen and email.

Procedure of selection generally involves creating a grid Mon-Thurs as I don't want Friday classes, then early AM, late AM, early PM, avoiding late afternoon sessions.  Then, going through the catalog one subject at a time, I entered possibilities in the appropriate square of my grid.

Once completed, I circled the one in each of the twelve boxes I found most appealing, then pick four.  Almost there.  Drawing conflicts with a lot of other things I might consider, watercolor does not, so even though I would prefer pencils, I'll try watercolor and one of the other classes that meets at the same time as drawing.  Some classes only run for half the semester, invariably the first half, which is why my final selections could use a little more analysis.  I'm good at sticking to what I decide.  Misgivings rarely appear.  Give it another day, then submit the registration electronically.

No comments: