Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Try the Recliner


A melatonin misadventure.  After several Shabbos afternoons of chemically prodded escape, half snooze, half stupor from chewing a 1.5 mg melatonin tablet, I thought I might try taking it the way it was intended for sleep.  So at twilight, I gave myself a head start with the tablet, got a little drowsy but not sleepy, and entered bed at the usual time.  I read a bit.  However, I did not fall asleep, which I likely would have from doing nothing but following the buzz on my iTouch watch.  

After no progress in a reasonable time, I headed to my trusty lounge chair in My Space, setting the TV to a pretty good show about bears.  Watched a while, dozed off for I don't know how long but eventually awoke to the modern version of Test Patterns that Netflix displays when the show has concluded without any remote commands for something else.  Back to bed.  Not for very long.  Back to recliner and an attempt to resume the show on bears where I think I nodded out.  Again to the end, clearly drowsy.  Bed got another go, a partially restful one but not for that long.  Back to the chair where the appointed time the wrist buzzer alerted me.  Not ready to get up, despite my commitment to following the dictates of that signal.  Arising only delayed about twenty minutes, then on to morning routine, not feeling particularly sleep-deprived but not in hot anticipation of the day's opportunities either.  Coffee as the next guiding chemical.

No comments: