Pages

Monday, September 5, 2022

Fab 5 Projects


The Fab 5 went to Japan.  My Netflix binge, two episodes while tethered to a platelet apheresis machine, the other two the following day at home.  Their people upgrades:  a divorcee who created a hospice program that became too all consuming, a gay young adult who had studied abroad and met a British partner, an early 20-something woman with artistic talent and no confidence, and a man whose marriage had become more of a living arrangement.  My challenges are far less, but the Queer Eyes remain helpful in each of their five spheres to those less floundering who could still benefit from their perspective.  

So what might I request of them, or more accurately what would a friend or spouse request of them on my behalf?  

Bobby upgrades the environment.  I'd like less clutter.  My Space has become fully defined, a pleasant sanctuary, though in need of cosmetics.  A more functional family room would be nice to have.  Maybe a fireplace that can safely glow in the cold months.  And a kitchen that has what I need when I need it but is free of the largely unused.  Bobby does the design and the work.  I can at least do the work.

Antoni runs the kitchen, teaching people how to sustain themselves if really basic, or entertain others with food specialties.  I do quite well here.  Techniques I can learn on my own.  Menus I commonly create.  Occasions to implement them could be increased.

Jonathan does the hair.  When I go to the barber, they ask me what I want them to do.  Jonathan decides what it seems best to do and does it.  I don't think any of my barbers, or occasionally one that might cross over to stylist, really wants to style with a blank slate.  My haircut, businesslike when done, Wild Man from Borneo for the final few weeks before the next one, doesn't really define me in any way.  It's not my best way to make a statement, if I even need to make a statement.  We'll stay businesslike and just wonder what else might have been possible.

Tan does appearance.  It is his input that I wonder most about.  I don't really have a look.  Summer t-shirts, shorts, and for the last couple of summers sandals most days.  A baseball cap with a logo that makes a statement if the t-shirt does not.  In the cooler months, long pants, casual shoes, shirt that I can wash and fold at home, some having logos.  Knit cap, windbreaker, sherpa jacket, or winter coat depending on weather.  For dress, which is usually synagogue, dress shirt, dress pants, maybe dress shoes.  I don't really have casual chic.  Tan would probably want me to have this type of ensemble while the other four find places for me to look that way.

Karamo deals with culture, which I think is a euphemism for upgrading people's insecurities or other psychological baggage.  I might offer him the most to do.  Shedding lingering resentments.  Restraining critical comments.

So that's what the Fab 5 would focus upon.  They're not coming.   I could do most of this without their help.

No comments: