Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Working With a Timer


I will work on this for 18 minutes and 18 seconds.  A lot of cleanup of a room can be accomplished in that time.  Exercise takes 25 minutes and 25 seconds, as does my goof off break.  Writing assignments take twice that 50 minutes and 50 seconds, with my mind usually petering out before that.  I rarely achieve Flow where time of performance disappears.  While do it until completion seems a better way to accomplish tasks, my interest fades more often than not somewhere during the task.  A timer makes for decent compensation unless the activity is both short and finite.  

My new GloryFit smartwatch has a timer, something its iTouch Slim predecessor did not.  Smart phones, tablets, PCs all come with timers.  It's utility has expanded far beyond keeping track of what's in the oven.  But still, it would be nice to occasionally enter a state of Flow.

No comments: