Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Washed Kitchen Floor

My kitchen should sparkle.  I invested in it.  New cabinets, sink, lighting, flooring, backsplash.  Being a home's hub for food and mail invites insidious accumulation of stuff and of grime.  Nice vinyl tile floor, faux stone, hadn't been washed in ages.  It was time to do this.  

Found a ringer pail.  On last half bottle of Mr. Clean.  Bought a new mop.  Recruited wife as assistant.  Our tile measure one foot square, which makes it easy to designated zones of 6-8 squares to mop at a time, starting with the far wall, then working towards the front door and family rooms.  Move tables and carts and stuff from one designated zone, mop those squares, move it back, then clear another zone.  I think I did five sections.  About halfway through, I went to Shop-Rite to treat myself to a donut.  The floor now looks much better.  

As I relocated items to expose the floor, it became apparent that some things probably have better homes than my kitchen.  I've never used the sewing machine that I bought at a yard sale decades ago.  Electric wine chiller and opener never used.  Milchig salad spinner not used in a long time.  They occupy a nook away from walking paths so there's no urgency to relocate them.  Our microwave cart has a great lower closet.  It its filled with cookery advertised thirty or more years ago as dedicated to microwave use.  We never use them but could deploy that storage space with door for other things.  A long time ago I dedicated a big plastic tub for my shoes.  Almost never wear any of the ones there, but should.  And the cabinets could use some degreasing.

The lighting remains top notch.


No comments: