Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Making My Kitchen Sparkle

Progress comes in increments but I think I have at least a conceptional completion image.  The kitchen has become the place in my home where I perform.  Food dominates, paper impedes.  Short articles and decluttering chapters in larger books for optimal kitchen organization abound.  My needs are less lofty.  I want to be able to find what I need when I need it.  It would be nice if it functioned less like a bowling alley where one object causes another to fall.  Storage zones have gone reasonably well.  I have places for cookware, milchig and fleishig, utensils, dishes.  There's a pantry with crude categories of what goes where.  The refrigerator can use an afternoon's purging, but the freezer no longer has randomness of its contents.  I put items scattered on the floor into reasonable categories.  When I need another bottle of seltzer chilled, I know where to find it.  Morning coffee supplies cluster in one place on the counter.  Basically not bad.  My challenges, though, have always been the surfaces, the table, counters, and to a lesser extent the fleishig island.  Assignment of space by frequency of use needs some attention.  Coffee more than daily.  Dishwashing continual.  Cleansers infrequent.  They need to go someplace else.  French Presses less than weekly.  Toaster daily.  Radio constant.  Containers for flowers for shabbos table weekly, but only use one at a time.  Utensils and sharp knives daily.  Those stay on the counter.

And then the table.  Organized now as paper and not-paper, then subdivided to my stuff and wife's stuff.  I rearrange a lot, never complete.  Need to just get everything off of it, wash it thoroughly, then create rules for what can return to that flat surface.  Start with my stuff, since I control it.  And soon.  And maybe there will be a day, even a moment, when I can announce DONE.


No comments: