Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2022

Sleeping Elsewhere

With my wife isolated for confirmed covid, myself minimally symptomatic but with negative testing, and probably too impulsive in cancelling my upcoming long awaited endoscopic studies, I need a mixture of respite and reset.  First a different place to sleep for a few nights, then later maybe a different GI group.  It two nights I've had three different sleep locations, none really comparable to my own bed.  The recliner in My Space, long past its prime, has been a place where I can force the back to about 45 degrees or so, then rest.  Many times I have dozed off there while watching the Big Screen, never really awakening fully rested, often unable to return to full sleep in my own bed, but at least I can fall asleep there.  My daughter's room has a high quality single bed, probably my best default when my wife and I need to sleep separately.  We got it for her right before her brother was born, so the mattress and box spring are probably about 36 years old, still like new.  She slept in it nightly until college, with breaks for camp, seemingly well rested.  I find the mattress too hard, something Goldilocks would not only understand but take action to find something softer.  Still, I fell asleep with a sleep pattern of early awakening not different from my own bed, though perhaps not as well rested.  Last night I tried the new sofa, one we've had for only a few months.  It seemed about the right hardness.  It's seating width, at about 22 inches, was too narrow for optimal comfort, but the hardness of the surface, while more than my mattress, was adequate.  The pillows that came with this sofa were intrusive.  We had excellent throw pillows which I could use for my head.  The back pillows were not removable to expand width.  Most of last night there, finished on my daughter's mattress.  I got up a half hour early, not wanting to languish there.

This being Thanksgiving, had dinner not been cancelled due to household covid, I would have a full day in the kitchen, one of my more satisfying personal pursuits. I'm not terribly sleep-deprived, but less well rested than I need to be for a marathon effort of a multicourse dinner.  I have other things to do instead, many of them at my keyboard and screen.  I feel rested enough to tackle these,

though even with coffee, I will need to put myself horizontal somewhere for a few hours while it is still daylight.




No comments: