Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Impulsivity


Periodically I find myself impulsive, needed to act right now when I shouldn't.  I cancelled endoscopic studies that I waited months to arrive as an immediate response to my wife's covid, something I could have avoided.  Need alternate care.  Ready to schedule myself with every GI identifiable on email who is not part of the group I found problematic.  I really should do one at a time.  Making snap responses about my synagogue, largely true, but could be more restrained.  Since my wife and I need to sleep separately while she recovers, I move consecutively between three OK but not optimal sleeping areas every few hours, or just keep awake and go to my electronics.  I've had this before.  It runs its course, but causes some damage along the way.

While experiencing insomnia, I watched a recording of a documentary by Tal Ben-Shahar, an organizational psychologist who gained fame as Harvard faculty but returned to his native Israel.  His documentary was on the elements of character of the people, those core principles, that have enabled an often besieged country and the people within it to excel beyond the achievements of those h disparage them.  He offered some characteristics that the population seeks out:

  1. Family
  2. Dealing with adversity
  3. Education
  4. Chutzpah
  5. Taking Action
  6. Tikkun Olam
I could do a little better on some of these things, starting with what I think is a minor health setback for which I need to respond in a more chutzpadik way.  If I need more suitable medical care, it looks like I need to be more assertive in pursuing it, unwilling to have unreasonable delays.  But also do this in a more thoughtful, controlled way than I've currently implemented.  

No comments: