Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2022

Return to Standard Time

Clocks reset.  My wife did the ones not connected to cyberspace.  Those with links to some central clock did their own.  I'm not sure about my car yet.  It was notable to stare at my smartwatch as 2AM approached, see it display 2AM, then reset itself to 1AM an instant later.

It's a day of an hour's extra sleep, except I'm not really in need of catchup.  In fact, my sleep pattern has taken a life of its own.  After a few hours, I awaken spontaneously, stay awake for a couple of hours darkness despite my best effort to return to sleep, then finally succeed only to be woken by a wrist buzz from my smartwatch that seems an hour short of optimal.  EST should correct that, at least for a few days.

I arose before the buzz.  On retrieving the newspaper, which had not come, the morning looked much brighter than it had with the final month of EDT.  In some ways, our clock system seems a contrivance to accommodate equally arbitrary work, school, or TV schedules.  Year round DST would leave mornings dark while people scrambled to do what they needed to do, impaired by the regulatory hormones and chemicals that act independently of our timekeeping mechanisms.

It had been my intent last night to go for coffee on this first morning of Standard Time, taking with me the pouch that I use for weekly planning each Sunday and some half-sheets that I use for creating my Daily
Task List.  Instead, I went to My Space with some easy K-cup coffee, followed by a second cup, before the Brew HaHa would even open on their newly adjusted schedule.

However time is defined, whether by nature or by clock consensus, we all adapt to it rather quickly.  Shabbos times still follow astronomical realities.  My OLLI classes adapt to the definition of the clock.  Both pretty much proceed as they otherwise would with some minor accommodations.


No comments: