Pages

Friday, December 16, 2022

New OLLI Catalog

Within a week of the last semester's conclusion, the course catalog for the spring session has already become available online.  They won't accept registration for a while, though.  First the calendar.  Spring Break the last week of March.  Pesach yom tovim put me out of commission on consecutive Thursdays following the Break.  I also anticipate endoscopic studies the Tuesday before the Break.  So Thursday classes probably best skipped this semester, unless really compelling.

By now I have my favorite teachers, those people who always engage my mind and prompt me to expand with a question.  Sometimes I will opt for those courses even if there are other subjects of more interest.  I've learned to avoid instructors or classes with aggregate lecturers where I think agendas are being pitched.  Surprising number of these.  OLLI does not have a good way of flagging them, and even if they did there are people who want to sit in those echo chambers so they can nod their head with each Power Point.  I had my share of those classes, anticipate what they are likely to be, and register for something else. 

I am willing to take classes early in the morning, before the lunch break, and after the lunch break, though not a late afternoon class or a Friday class after the lunch break.  On Friday's they will often have a noon speaker.  Recently they have been on Zoom.  And late Friday afternoon, also on Zoom, they have some quasi social Zoom events.  I am willing to look at my screen.

For the actual classes, though, I much prefer in person.  People of my age, the post-retirement but not quite End of Life cohort, really do better when we are around people.

So a leisurely review of available in-person classes will get undertaken shortly. 

No comments: