Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Harvesting My Gardens

In anticipation of a special anniversary dinner, I went out to see how much of it I could contribute from the bounty of the gardens set as a semi-annual project last cycle.  One tomato plant flourished.  That became salad.  No cucumbers yet.  Lots of basil that became pesto.  Parsley became garnish.  Thyme leaves enhanced glazed carrots.  Flounder came from a fisherman more skilled than me.  

And there will be more tomatoes as one plant has produced fruit to abundance.

Gardening is here to stay though in a different form.  The herbs except for sage and rosemary did better in a pot.  Those two stay in the backyard, as my sage did poorly in the pot.  The rest of the backyard beds seem better suited to vegetables.  Tomatoes need more room.  See what happens to cucumbers.  Maybe try eggplant and peppers from the nursery instead of from seed.  Beans were a disappointment.  Soil analysis next spring I think, with targeted enrichment.  Now that I've added depth between the surface and the weed block, I can reconsider root vegetables, maybe beets that don't grow very deep.  

And I have enough herbs to keep me going through Thanksgiving.






No comments: