Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Major Trip Perhaps


When I compile my twelve semi-annual initiatives each December and June, I make sure to include a couple that stretch me to the edge of the SMART acronym, or more accurately the middle A=Attainable.  These rarely get done but set the framework for difficult things that will reach fruition.  They tend to be resource heavy, either in time, physical or mental effort, or expense.  Yet they have to remain A=Attainable.  My Wanna/Should for this cycle seems to be taking a major trip to a place I've not been before, something I actually fulfill every few years.  

All worthy projects begin with somebody's imagination, this time mine, so where might I like to go and how realistic or worthwhile might such an undertaking be?  I've started the imagination part.  A good starting point seems to be checking out what the pros do.  Guided tours exist everywhere.  We traversed Israel efficiently that way.  So it becomes a matter of dividing up the world and surfing the web for tours, to see where they go in each locale and how much they charge.

Dividing the geography turns out to be a little harder than planned, or at least more extensive.  There's the USA which for my purposes can be divided into National Parks, Cities, and everyplace else.  There's Europe which isn't that big big but has a lot of countries each unique in its own way and some with personal legacy.  Asia is quite big. the Far East being very different from Islamic Asia or Russia.  Africa for me is wildlife.  Australia is where I might find the roaming electron but more likely to find kangaroos.  And Sudamerica has fewer places, more landscape than cultural or historical destinations, though undoubtedly those exist as well.  Finally, the best merger of new places with hedonism may still be a cruise.

Lots of options, a few foreseeable obstacles, not the least would be getting my wife to accept this let alone create a joint project of planning.  But worth the effort. A=Attainable.

No comments: