Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

No Messages

As I have accepted the verdict of the electronic roulette wheel for whether I engage in social media that day, ODD=yes, EVEN=no, I still start by checking any messages on both Twitter and FB.  Usually FB has some from the night before, rarely important, but I still like to wish people a Happy Birthday.  FOMO has mostly disappeared.  There just isn't anything to miss out on.  Yet I anticipate at least the FB corporate board has an interest in trying to engage me in some way.

Not this morning.  I scored a virtual Goose Egg.  Zip from Tw and FB, only one email from a weekly Parsha commentary that usually arrives a little later in the day on Wednesdays but today got transmitted overnight.

Do I feel electronically bypassed?  Well, partly yes and partly no.  I have a lot of things better to do than check messages.  The impulse to respond often detracts from more gratifying but more effort laden projects.  But wanting to be left alone and being left alone are not the same, any more than solitude and loneliness are not the same.  It would have been better to have a message or two, accept today's roulette spin of 12 as a day to not engage in social media, then wade through the things that offer me the day's feeling of accomplishment.


No comments: