Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Probably Doing Something Wrong


Not been able to get my thoughts accepted for publication.  What I thought was my best Jewish writing, really good analysis and expression, keeps getting declined by places I thought might like to have them.  And the responses all come with a no thanks, yet never an explanation how to make the articles more acceptable.

Perhaps I write what I write for my own analysis without regard to a reader, while the editors are entirely focused on the reader.  And to be fair, other than The Forward, I don't really read what they do publish.  And my word counts are too high.

There are regional writers groups where I can seek an editor.  Or I can see what my OLLI teacher can recommend.  Or maybe better, would be to pick the places where I have sent items and read some of what they accept, both in ideas and expression.

My semi-annual goals have always measured submissions, as I have no control over publication.  Still, I am disappointment that my effort, maybe my most passionate thinking, was not better received. 

No comments: