Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2022

Abortioned Out

It didn't take long.  We all knew which sides we were on.  We might have been blindsided by the Supreme Court ruling fifty years ago, but half a century is enough to entrench our positions.  This time the reversal of the last ruling had two weeks of advance notice.  But we all know who is on what side, what they intersect with when they vote, how they blighted the basically good concept of organized religion for many, myself among them.  I know the different positions.  I know what Shimon ben Gamliel indicated makes for good law:  emet, din, and shalom.  I also know that we've really opted for winners and losers here.

I still think defined access creates the best law but that's not what  people seem to vote for.  And votes matter a lot more than FB posts that express rage.

I have the good fortune to be able to think through what comes at me, accept being on the losing side if not the minority itself, and let the grandstanding end.  It won't end, but I don't have to look at it.  I control which screens I turn on.  Always.


No comments: