Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2022

First In, First Out

No particular reason to not like being at shabbos services.  I served as ba-al shacharit, successfully introducing a kedusha tune that I liked and had not been done before.  Each time I do this, I try to offer something not entirely identical to the last time I did it.  And we got our needed tenth man just in time to try this out.  Competent Torah reading.  Haftarah done well, though too many times by the man who assigns them.  Very good D'var Torah by a long time contributor not seen in some time.  Musaf engaging, closing prayers approaching a cliche, though for the right reason.  As other people did their things, I thought about Big Tents and Gated Communities, which I watched on JBS by a Jewish master this week, wondering if that would be a topic to explore for Medscape Endocrinology perhaps or a presentation at AKSE now that sermons are done by congregants.  Alas, we show the characteristics of a gated community, though the officers would protest if confronted with such an accusation.

By the close of services, I no longer felt engaged.  Put my tallis in its bag, books in the rack, last one to complete this.  Took my 15 ml scotch in lieu of wine as I always do.  First into the room with gefilte fish and cookies.  Finished them quickly.  A few hellos, no engaging sentences, or even full sentences with both subject and predicate.  Then first home, still thinking about Big Tents and Gated Communities to commit to writing over the coming week.


No comments: