Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Not Missing Facebook


Not posted for not quite half the month thus far.  Shared two stories of meaning to me, but do not recall what the first was.

Not wished anyone a standardized Happy Birthday.  Not opened notifications, even to read my friend's daily selection in Critica. And nobody seems to have missed me.

I don't feel deprived.  I don't have a hankering of any type to go back and tell somebody about the ordinary things and sometimes special things that I do.

Don't miss the political statements.  By now I have the hang of who supports what.

If anything about my hiatus amazes me so far, it has been how much unoccupied time has been recaptured.  I do not really know how much time I spend logged into various social media but the sponsors do.  Judging from large swaths of time this week that I've had to redirect, some in very gratifying ways, some in more obligatory ways, and some largely idle, it was a lot more than I would have estimated.

I don't plan to return now that I appreciate how anti-gratifying much of that recent experience has become.  In these two weeks, a few real electronic conversations have come my way, usually my comment with a thoughtful response from somebody I do not know except though presentations that captured my interest.  Real meaningful exchanges of ideas.  Something FB could have been, maybe even once was, but went for the sponsors instead.

No comments: