Pages

Monday, July 20, 2020

Added Waistline

As the second half of the calendar year gets underway, I diverted my health goal from treadmill landmarks, which I achieved, back to anthropometric measurements which have gone nowhere for several years.  Weight and Waist get measured every Monday morning, a lot of the week's progress usually gets entered every Wednesday, along with a statement of how I feel.  In retirement, as a senior citizen, I've been as attentive as I've ever been, taking my prescribed medicine daily, measuring my BP a few times a week, doing the scheduled treadmill session with few lapses, and not consuming any calories from 10PM to 6AM every day.  Three weeks into the program, my weight remains static but my waist increased by one inch, which I should have noted since my pants have fitted less well along the middle, though the belt holes have not changed.  This will have to be accomplished with some more severe diet modifications, though I have not approached snacks in a voracious way since the second half of the year began.

I do most of the grocery shopping and the majority of supper preparation so I have pretty good control.  Breakfast has been inconsistent at best.  My routine is coffee, though when I have gravlax at hand I will make a sandwich with a bagel and cream cheese, so there is a breakfast.  Suppers have been moderate.  Triple Decker Sandwiches have been gone for a while.  Need to attack the snack end, I guess.  Efficient food production and corporate competition keeps the goodies good and economical.  No trip to the supermarket avoids Tastykake if the price is right or cookies or chips or pretzels.  I try to ration but maybe have not been doing as well as I thought.

As coronavirus has expanded indoor time, some ordinary activity such as OLLI, shul, walking a mall, traversing a parking lot to get somewhere, and undoubted a lot of other subtle but additive calorie utilization has also depleted.  It will be hard to recapture that so if I am to get to the physical measurement goals by year's end, the grocery shopping and consumption will need to be modified.  I think I am up to the challenge.

How to Measure Your Waist Circumference and Waist-to-Hip Ratio ...

No comments: