Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Heat Wave

Heat Wave Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock



While nobody really knows what creates climate or predicts its variability very well, some patterns have gotten sufficiently familiar to maintain some predictability.  We will have a snow requiring driveway clearing every winter, though we didn't the last one.  There will be a few deluges, though flooding would be a notable event.  And it gets hot for part of the summer, usually with enough humidity to alter activities.  That's where I've been the past week or two.  I made it to the Delaware shore one day, an afternoon with a pleasant breeze to break the outdoor heat.  But for the most part, being an indoor cat has suited me better.  No fishing, more out of concern for me than the fish.  My gardens have taken sufficient root to not need a lot of supplemental water, except for my new sapling and especially for the zinnias planted in the pre-built wooden corner boxes on my deck.  Those have looked a bit droopy some days but revive quickly when added water seeps beneath the soil.  The first flowers have arrived with only small but timely amounts of care on my part. 

Air conditioning has become a high priority these past few weeks, either at home or in the car.  Walks across parking lots or at gasoline pumps have not taken a serious toll but added effort of weeding my main garden has become noticeable, so I've not been doing it in a serious way.  I have looked at the crop:  leaf herbs doing well, seeded vegetables not yet.  The inspections have been brief.

In the spring, I set up the deck for some outdoor living.  Umbrella does not work right.  Antigravity chair comfortable but not the best place to hang out on a steamy afternoon, even though the backyard faces north.  Being indoors has its opportunity for cleaning, writing, loafing.  None yet taken to best advantage.  Not even loafing.

No comments: