Pages

Friday, July 24, 2020

WaWa Returns

Another victim of COVID-19: The popular Wawa coffee bar ...



While bored with what was on live TV, I streamed some favorite recorded shows, settling for a Modern Marvels episode on convenience stores.  WaWa, the dominant chain in our region, had a significant presence as state of the art approaches to processing customers in and out.  My own purchases are rather predictable, mostly gasoline, typically on Friday.  When I was working, coffee would sometimes be a separate pre-highway stop, and maybe a vegetable-bagel sandwich which seems discontinued from the current menu, as Modern Marvels suggested that fate for items that do not sell, do not attract customers, do not generate a profit, or are labor intensive.  While coffee generally has a better price than the coffee or breakfast chains, it is also easy to make at home and when necessary transfer to my own travel mug so since retiring, WaWa coffee has never been a priority, though I can be swayed by the $1 any size promotions.  They have Hoagie Fest periodically, $5 for a large custom hoagie.  Not the best by any means but a best buy.  And they have promotions on milk shakes, $2 for the pint size or $1 for a 32oz soda available in more varieties than anyplace else from a machine that I find intriguing.  And they have a cash machine that rarely brings me in for that alone but which I access if inside the store for something else.

As a food and fuel supplier, they were able to remain open during the Covid-19 closures, though utilization, at least on my part, changed significantly.  I drove less so some Fridays I did not fill my gas tank, or if I didn't want to go inside to the convenience store, I sometimes went someplace other than my usual WaWa.  And I never went inside.  My one indulgence, coffee, was not on sale.  More importantly, they eliminated the self-serve aspect which I depend on to customize what the mood brings me.  They have displays of type of coffee, different whiteners, different sweeteners, some additives.  It's not the same when you need to tell the lady at the counter what you want when you could be choosing among white, brown, or no sugar yourself.  And at full price, it's better just to use my k-cups.

Some recent advertising revealed the $1 any size promotion had returned.  Not that I need to make a special trip for coffee.  But since I needed gas, I went inside and found the self-serve completely restored except for the missing cinnamon and chocolate shakers.  Special on Blueberry Cobbler.  I filled my cup to 20 oz, added only light cream, and a travel top.  As a bonus, the promotion on milkshakes has also returned.  Later maybe.

No comments: