Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2021

Blood Bank Brew


Platelet donors at one time left with a form of home clutter at one time.  My collection of T-Shirts, caps, fleece covers, a beach bag, flip flops, and thermal mugs could start a Blood Bank Museum in my house.  Platelet donors are their most dedicated group. We largely set our schedules and maintain it, not really needing an incentive or even thanks.  They got the message and did away with the parting gifts some time ago but still offer incentives to donate periodically, though to all donors.  Whole blood sources may be less consistent with their giving, creating the need for rallies at mobile sites or other means of making it as easy as possible for people to participate.

In lieu of clutter, the Blood Bank substituted an experience.  Donate anything, or even just register and get screened out as ineligible, and they will offer a coupon good for a $2 off a pint of craft beer at any of the sponsoring brewpubs.  Only one being convenient to me, I redeemed it as a reward to myself for accomplishing a difficult writing submission before deadline.

While Two Stones Pub's northern location around the corner makes for a quick and mostly good supper, I had not been there in a while, maybe never in their late afternoon Happy Hour time.  Easing Covid restrictions, which became official the day before in our state, pretty much opened the bar where I helped myself to the last seat that could offer me empty seats on either side.  I never quite understood Cheers or even the Public Houses of the British Isles where people went more to create community than to buzz the susceptible parts of their CNS.  At one time beer had a safety advantage over water so people consumed it as their primary beverage, though eventually hot tea and hot coffee could also sterilize the water.  Now beverages of any type have become so available as to be overconsumed.  It is also more economical to purchase and consume for home use, making the beverage, whether beer or coffee, a forum for communal presence rather than serve a physiological need.

Two Stones must have had its small cohort of regulars who gather along the bar in late afternoon.  Since my last visit, the restaurants have expanded their own unique brews in a central location to distribute to the small eating sites.  Good variety of house offerings and not unusually expensive even if not discounted by my Blood Bank donation or Happy Hour.

I selected a pint of one of their signature blends, a very crisp dark amber liquid with fine bubbles and just the right blend of bitterness and sweetness.  One that would sell in a much expanded market, I think.  While I took a paper to work on, and did for a bit, the two folks behind the bar served a little as cruise directors, opening conversations with their patrons, including me.  We spoke about the Blood Bank promotion primarily.

Pint glass emptied, amply rewarded by the Blood Bank for my consideration and by myself for submitting my article, I drove the half-mile home.  I'd pay full price for this experience.

No comments: