Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Synagogue's New Home

My first shabbos morning in the new sanctuary, functioning as leader of Shacharit and one of the Torah readers, or I likely would have postponed my return a few weeks longer.  The room, far longer than wide, does not really hold a lot of people, perhaps leaving the impression of full attendance.  Comfortable movable chairs, attractive Ark and chanting table, decent acoustics and in the rear half walls covered in a cherry red with starkly contrasting white trim, though with more lemon yellow less awakening walls in the front half.  Commercial movable rugs seemed more for acoustics than aesthetics.

People mostly the same with the addition of one young couple.  Ritual proceedings very much the same.  Still I much prefer having space that is really ours.  We remain tenants of another congregation but not one with a parallel offering at the same time as ours.  This is better.  It felt more like ours.  I have now been restored to a consumer of worship.  That's not the same as being a contributor to the synagogue where my impression of blackball remains.



No comments: