Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Hot Sultry Days

Each summer has its heat waves, contributing to those lazy hazy days of summer.  Parts of America have it much worse than I have experienced in the mid-Atlantic thus far, and of course I've lived through some other sever heat cycles both in the midwest and midAtlantic that generated warnings to those in less than optimal health to seek air conditioned spaces.  While the week has arrived here, the dire warnings come my way from the news media or FB posts by friends in the more severely affected locations.  

Some of my recreation requires modification.  While going to the putting green is enjoyable, maybe even more frequent now that my new synagogue location sits nearby, and the drive in an air conditioned car is pleasant, getting out of the car and walking from the lot to the putting surface may not be.  Don't really want to stand out in the hot sun overcome by humidity casting a fishing rod.  Kept bicycle on my list though I probably won't ride it.  My ventures are mostly around the block so humidity won't matter much.  Serious riding, not a chance.  I still consider my time on a local park bench protected time for me and my mind.  It's duration may become shorter.  Rain pre-empts the outing, heat does not.  And working on my photography skills usually goes better outdoors than indoors.  It can continue.  Garden care will be scaled back, though not eliminated, particularly since the main garden could use some watering tomorrow, perhaps even later today.

My acquired fondness for air conditioning, which I did not have available to me as a youth either at home, car, or school, still leaves me plenty of options for fulfilling activities in My Space, tidying around the house, engaging in some kitchen creations.  And for short bursts, setting the AC aside to enjoy nature, of which our weather remains a vital component.

No comments: