Pages

Monday, June 7, 2021

Summertime 2021


And the living is easy.  Or maybe not that easy.  Sweltering days have arrived, though to my surprise the container plantings with commercial potting soil have all retained their moisture from the last deluge a few  days back.  I've not checked the backyard square foot garden.  Deck plants appear healthy even though their soil has dried.  Maybe try staking the four tomato plants later.

Summer marks fewer appointments.  One doctor's visit later in the week.  Maybe see if the Blood Bank will have me back as a donor.  No OLLI classes.  No looming deadlines.  In that sense, the living is easy though better not to be too easy.

Post-Covid travel has begun to open.  I went to the Delaware beaches twice amid prudent restrictions, plan to do this again in the more open environment.  Maybe go to Lancaster after my medical appointment, as I've not done that at all during the pandemic.

Significant blocks of unstructured times also create opportunities.  My traditional six month cycle reaches its conclusion soon, more successful than most given the pandemic's limitations, but still with enough loose ends to require some element of self-directed effort within some specific self-assigned work times.  Still another kg to go on my weight goal.  Still sitting on three completed essays of good quality but lackadaisical about seeking a publication for submission.  Not exactly summertime activities but still on the not yet completed list.  Too soon to harvest my gardens.  I've had a little too much medical care of late.  Complete this appointment and steer clear of providers the remainder of the summer.  And shul reopens but for now without me.  

Since my initiatives get created in June to transition in July, summer for me is never really hazy or lazy.  I have made peace with what I did, didn't do, or could have done, thought about what I'd like to continue or do instead, and come the hottest days with the least fixed structure, immerse myself onward.


No comments: