Pages

Friday, February 4, 2022

Kitchen Cleanup


Probably my least favorite edible would be mayonnaise, really a form of pulverized grease.  I never buy it but on occasion emulsions are essential to certain items.  I had everything i needed to make a wonderful supper highlighted by tuna melt, a frequently ordered item in a restaurant but troublesome to make at home.  I had a can of tuna lurking in the closet, just bought some celery, parsley on its last usable day or two, have onions but opted for powder. Have salt and pepper but no mayo to bind it.  So I made my own.  Recipes call for far more than I needed and difficult to halve due to an egg that could be portioned only with difficulty.  So tuna ingredients run through the minichopper, and on to homemade mayo. As much as I dislike the final result, no ingredients are objectionable, in fact, commonly used for other things.  An egg, an acid like tarragon vinegar, salt, pepper, splash of hot sauce, squeeze of Dijon, then whirl.  Cup of oil in pourable measuring cup with a lip and slowly pour through the liquid shoot on the lid of the chopper.  Whirl as I go.  Before long, fluffy off-white spread, at the intersection of liquid and solid.  Put some in a leftover milchig jar, spooned some onto the tuna and mixed.  Restaurant level tuna salad and enough mayo to spoil before I use it again.

Pulverized grease can be a challenge to clean.  Whole chopper acquired an off-white inner surface, and a slick one.  Cleaned blade first.  Generous supply of green Palmolive dish detergent, careful scrub as the  blade is sharp with multiple surfaces and interfaces with plastic, then a vigorous spray rinse.  Then bowl and two part lid.  Not that difficult.  Then tuna bowl.  Pan for tuna melt doesn't look that hard to clean, nor do the dishes but they need some dish detergent and rinse by the sink sprayer rather than the faucet.  Very good tuna melt on pumpernickel.  Worth some time at the sink the next morning.

No comments: