Pages

Monday, March 7, 2022

Intercession

 


OLLI's mid-semester break comes at just the right time for me this term.  Wife's organizational obligations take a hiatus just at that week. Passover still a few weeks off.  I don't really need another vacation, and doubt that I will just a few weeks hence, but it's a chance to do something a little different if not challenging either alone or even better as a couple.  And preferably something that I cannot squeeze in at a different time.

After some early thought, I think I am willing to fly three hours and rent a car or drive maybe six hours.  That could take me to Florida by air, which seem the best air values.  By car I could get to Kitty Hawk or possibly to Boston.  Haven't been to Montreal in decades but it seems out of range for that time frame.  Could go to Montauk, never been to the very end of Long Island but I have been to Orient Point on the North Shore.  And then there is the option of visiting friends.  I have some in Florida, some in New York, one in the Berkshires.  Beach would be nice.  I could splash in an indoor pool up north.  As much as I like Boston, and even miss living there slightly, I don't really want a cultural immersion this time.  Nature would be better. New Hampshire, even Lake Winnepesauga is not that far north.

For all my time in school, I never really got away for spring break other than observing Peach, and some years not even that.  Would never consider spending my father's money on lavish entertainment.  Still imprinted to be a little hesitant to spend my own money that way, even when ample.  There has to be a purpose to travel beyond my own amusement.

And I've not been to my father's grave site since shiva in 2009.  Can get to Paramus and Elmont for everyone else any time, much harder to get to Florida.

Maybe check with some folks who live there.


No comments: