Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Rationing Social Media


It seems rational to ration. And this is the week I will start doing it, or already have.  Reddit is on hiatus even though I like responding to r/Judaism.  Twitter is utterly toxic, nobodies gathering around celebrities that would walk the other way in person.  A pool of ignorami.  Bari Weiss' Common Sense I've limited to my response to what she posts as the daily read, one time, ask that comments on my comment after the first two not come to my email.  And I do not engage in virtual conversations with other responders. KevinMD I try to respond twice a week.  Thoughtful articles, thoughtful feedback. 

That leaves me to control the ultimate time sink FB.  It shouldn't be as difficult as it has been.  Most of the connections I value most have disappeared, presumably by an algorithm that placed ads for some schmutz that I neither need nor want ahead of the people I'm happy I was able to reconnect to from now a half century back.  Not a lot of thought is exchanged.  Birthday greetings, condolences, a goot shabbos.  But little thought and with the people I'd most like to have lunch with in person screened out either electronically or by their preference.  The fun of the first few years has long since waned.  When I announced that I might like to go to Florida soon, nobody in Florida seemed eager to meet me there for real.  It's because FB in the end, isn't real.

Having done this a few days, successful for all but FB, I think I can limit my access or at least my response when I have access.  One more challenge.

No comments: