Pages

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Coffee's Good


Some preparation for endoscopic studies changed my intake and activities for three days.  Due to a failed procedure and some bothersome delays on the repeat, I was especially meticulous for the preparation.  Three days before I began a clear liquid diet.  Coffee became black, with a splash of sugar.  Three 10 oz servings each of three mornings by k-cup, even finished three of the varieties, including two of them from a large box, though with enough of the final variety to tide me through the upcoming start of Pesach when the Keurig K-Express machine goes dormant for a week.  On the day of the procedure, no coffee, which may have been why I dragged a bit the rest of the day.

Coffee now restored.  K-cup instructed to fill 8 ounces, did not pay attention to which blend.  Zetz of generic coffee-mate stirred in.  Taking pleasure sipping it from one of my favorite cups.  It's good.  And when it's done, I'll make another cup.

One of the offshoots of this distraction, Sat-Sun-Mon-Tues, has been the diversion of my energy and my focus.  While glucose feeds the brain, and the soda supplied that, the body runs on a more varied array of caloric sources and a much larger total number of calories.  My weekly weight, a Monday morning ritual, ticked downward to a new low.  So now I know how to get my weight down, though not in the healthiest or most sustainable way.  The laxatives, spread over two evenings, sapped my strength, interfering with sleep the night before the procedure.  I just did not have the energy or mental acuity to do anything of substance that required analytical thought, memory, or sustained attention, which is the majority of my Semi-Annual projects.

While my checklist of the undone has grown, the colonoscopy behind me literally and figuratively, a very successful one well-worth the postponement of my personal productivity, I think I'm ready to resume the sustained effort and volume of work it takes to get these tasks moving toward fulfillment.

Fueled by coffee first, some calories later, and a very long written Daily Task List to extract the priorities.

No comments: