Pages

Friday, March 24, 2023

Continuous Sleep


For the first time in recent memory, perhaps a few years memory, middle of the night insomnia did not present itself circa 3AM.  I remember not falling asleep easily, estimated by Sleep Tracker at just over an hour. Usually my sleep latency, the time from lights out to being asleep is relatively short.  But my next awareness came with a wrist buzz.  The smartwatch sent its alert at the programmed 6:30 AM, prominent enough for me to notice it.  I still thought I needed more sleep, but got up momentarily for the bathroom.  Not long after, at 6:45, the music from Sleep Tracker, which could begin anywhere from then until a half hour later depending on other signals built into the program that I don't understand, turned on.  I felt almost awake, not yet 100% but not deprived enough to challenge modern electronics, so I completed the night's sleep interval.  It estimated I had been asleep about 6.5 hours, but its rare continuous nature caught my attention.  Since the purpose of sleep is to enable activity the following day. Whether this made a difference should play out later.  For now I feel adequately rested, maybe a notch or too shy of optimally renewed, but fully functional.

No comments: