Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Grocery Orgy


We needed stuff.  I had run out of dental plackers, one of my beneficial start the day new habits that I was able to introduce.  We had no seltzer, that fizzy substitute for the evil soda. Ice cream had run out.  Our freezer still had some room for more, as many of the past week's meals began with defrosting.  To make a leisurely though mostly purposeful stroll through Shop-Rite even more attractive, the weekly ad that comes in the mail every Thursday announced discounts on things that add versatility to meal planning or brighten my time in the kitchen.  Apples and sour cream on sale at the same time generates Fish Market Apple Walnut Pie.  Some things I avoided, those potato chips on sale though corn chips pass.  As much as I wanted Vienna Fingers for $1.88 a package, it remains on the Don't Get Obese limitations.  In exchange, there is pasta and frozen phony meat facsimiles that make meal preparation simple and filling.  I always need coffee when it goes on sale, even when I don't.  Can never have too much Lavazza at $3.99 a package.  Half price, always good, lasts indefinitely, though ground too fine for my Mr. Coffee K-cup machine's plastic strainer insert.  House brand K-cups, coffee ordinaire, but staples.  Two boxes when significantly discounted.   Some things you need to buy a lot of to get the computerized cash register to deduct the savings.  Don't know where I would store ten large cans of tomatoes.  I can use three jars of pasta sauce eventually.  One for lasagna.  Cottage cheese and frozen spinach not discounted this week but the pasta sauce will keep until they are.  Halfway healthy snacks:  whole grain fruit bars certified Kosher, pretzels which are maybe a tad better than potato chips, yogurts that had been victim to supply chain limitations on availability, the cereal that I like munchable from the box.

While the basket and reusable grocery bags looked rather stuffed by the time I scanned them through the self-cashier, some things I did not get.  Salad greens advertised were not available on the shelves.  Better to get these at Trader Joe's, which is also my source for bread and cheese.  Kosher meat has gotten prohibitively expensive.  Usually a few packages have clearance discounts, though more common later in the week.  I needed mini-challot, again none on shelves early in the week.  I don't even look at the Kosher deli or bakery anymore as prices exceed what I am willing to pay, even discounted.  They had no whipping cream, the perfect addition to the blueberries I got on sale and perhaps to the Apple Walnut Pie.  Self-care items from deodorant to home remedies have inflated in price.  Don't need a lot of these, but their manufacturers and retailers know that they are price inelastic for people at the time of need.

This past week I watched a six part summary of  the food industry on Curiosity Stream.  Consumers want, suppliers both create want and satisfy want.  And a vast maze of supply chains have made the things we want global and for the most part affordable.  At my shopper perspective, I still have ample choice, have given up very little on account of price, and what falls through the supply chain snafus, as yogurt did recently, eventually gets its turn with shipping containers, railroads, and trucks.  I bought enough to eat well this week and beyond.  The preparation options bring me some joy as I combine ingredients to make items where great taste comes forth.  And for all practical purposes, if I go out for coffee, it is for the social or escape elements, not for the beverage. 

No comments: