Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Outdoor Herbs


While some snow dominates the forecast, the sun will still run its cycles, as will the seasons.  Time to move my mind and its intents forward to warmer times when my interest in kitchen creations merges with soil and seed.  My backyard herbs have not done well except for rosemary and sage, which do not always survive the winter.  Those planted in containers right outside my front door bring me more joy, if not more taste.  Some have done better than others.  I never run out of mint, both peppermint and spearmint, though the culinary uses are limited.  Basil has done well.  It has a lot of kitchen applications, but usually requires a lot of it, especially for pesto.  My coriander and dill have been fickle, thyme leaves hard to separate from branches but useful without separation for soups.  Parsley does well, the Italian form that adds character to all sorts of things.

TV cooks always have abundant leaves right in their kitchens and windowsills.  I will aspire a notch less, what I want in the amount I need in pots outside my front door.

No comments: