Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Part of the Conversation


After some consideration, I paid the $50 subscription to join the Bari Weiss virtual community.  I also jointed two segments of Reddit.

Social media has become something of a wasteland, perhaps the toxic dump of cyberspace.  Conversations abound, trolls lurk,  You don't get to choose who else shares that forum, but that was also true in college where I had no control over who the Admissions Office would place in the classrooms with me.  Unlike Twitter, though, it wasn't anybody and everybody.  And the rules of idea exchange were better defined.

Reddit and Weiss at least define the conversation by subject.  Weiss charges a fee and targets her kind of people, which is about as close to my kind of people as I have come across on the internet.  Reddit seems to have mostly sincere people thus far, at least in the two subject areas that I have selected.

I'll see how it goes, but thus far, nothing particularly offensive.

No comments: