Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Sidestepping the Conversation

Electronics with its postings no longer creates real conversations.  In its nascent days we could open an AOL chat room, type a sentence, know who else is in the room, and they would respond.  To do that the rooms had to be small and the sentences short.  With expansion, we get more elaborate posts and more elaborate responses but they really aren't interactive.  You could argue, perhaps, that our Talmud depends on posts and responses of sages centuries apart but nobody read those interactions for centuries either and redacted them to suit contemporary purposes.  Cyberspace is now, though a little less now than an in-person conversation.  Direct conversations usually don't last very long, and since those engaged are on site they are not distracted from other things they need to do  that day.

No, Twitter, Bari Weiss, Facebook, Reddit and all those other forums are really more like expanded Letters to the Editor than they are to immediate jolting conversations.  

How to manage this?  Having just paid money to subscribe to Bari Weiss with her guest columns and shunning of politically correct, its prime attraction, the others who paid money as well want conversation more than I do.  When I post, the responses can be numerous, overwhelming other things that track me to my goals.  I found that I really don't want to have a discussion, particularly one that takes all day.  I just post what I want, opt not to be notified of responses and move on.  I can always go back and read what I want.  Do I care how anyone is affected by what I think?  To a point, but not to become a disruption.  For now, I think it better to write my thoughts and move on, staying detached from the minds of others.

No comments: