Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Writing an Extra Check


Made some donations though a few days behind schedule.  My wife donates small amounts to everyone, which I found out when I logged our December expenses onto Excel.  Mine are done monthly, one moderate one to a Jewish cause each month, once with a note of appreciation to the agency to accompany the check, now for efficiency online.  A few times a year I have targeted contributions independent of the monthly ones, some large enough for IRS documentation, usually in October.  Then as Social Security made my income rise a bit, I added a secondary Jewish donation, a small amount to an agency that does special things.  And there are yahrtzeits, condolences, and other occasions that generate contributions.

It takes place on the 20th of each month, or thereabouts, with delays for shabbos or having some uncertainty of where to contribute.  Two special checks went into the mail, both to support the good work of old friends.  One became a minister of a semi-rural church in picturesque New England.  They have online services each Sunday that appears on Facebook.  This week they had a financial appeal.  I sent them something.  This being the approach of yahrtzeit, I always send a contribution to the current version of my mother's synagogue, long since repackaged, where her memorial plaque hangs.  I learned last year that a high school friend remained in the area, attends that synagogue, and started collecting small toiletries and other items to distribute to the homeless.  I sent a second check for her use.

All better destinations than lying fallow in my checking account.

No comments: