Pages

Friday, May 27, 2022

And the Living Is Easy

Summertime.  I'd probably not want to live in a place that did not have all four distinct seasons at least identifiable.  Being at a place that allots them their annual quarter seems an added plus.  Activities don't really suspend in the summer.  They get substituted.  OLLI goes dormant with a brief interlude to register for when it resumes.  It's the right time to let my synagogue attendance go dormant in a parallel way, even though the cycles and obligations of Judaism really don't change.  I'm long past summer camp.  While in retirement I can travel anytime, or even during employment once the kids were no longer dependent, summer still has a flexibility  for either pursuing this or for planning the major expeditions for the fall when the crowds dissipate.  I will need some hotels and airlines later but arrange them while it's still summer.

Our local Christmas Tree Shops maintains a quadrant for seasonal living which I just toured.  Next holiday, Memorial Day for which people already purchased specifics, though mentally that opens our summer season even if the astronomers take a different view.  Despite what some in the opposing political camp may assert, I'm a pretty worthy American.  I do things that advance America conceptually, defend it from setbacks, and contribute taxes and ideas.  I don't buy a lot of flag merchandise but own some, wear it not only on those days, and display the flag outside the front door.  I don't buy more merchandise for the celebration.  Barbecue has become part of the holiday experience.  They had items to make that happen as part of the 4Jy section.  Not used my equipment.  Probably should but not a great priority.  Guess I'm more a kitchen maven.

Swimming or other aquatics has a more enduring section not targeted to a specific event.  For the summer, I plan visits to two Delaware beaches, Ocean City though probably as a non-aquatic sightseer, and a water park.  Bought a plastic device that I could insert into the sand with a container to hold a can of soda or other stuff.  Already have everything I need for getting wet, drying off,  or reducing the downsides of sun exposure.  

This is the year that my gardens will flourish, or so my imagination prompted me last December when I set my semi-annual projects.  Thus far they have, and with the assistance of the Christmas Tree Shops.  Seeds and stems from nursery now all fully planted.  Got a new watering can.  Have enough tools and seem to know where they are.  Parceled different parts of my plantings to focus on small segments at a time, with thinning of what has sprouted looming as the next project.

People go for picnics.  I've allotted two picnics.  People sit on their patios.  I had my backyard deck refinished a few years ago.  Not a good risk for a portable fire pit, as attractive as they appear.  Don't particularly like eating outside when I have a fully functional kitchen and dining room.

For some reason I do most of my house upgrades in summer.  Invested in landscaping in the spring.  Need to revive the living room and dining room visually, which will mean curtains and a sofa.  Christmas Tree Shops had curtains and rods, though something like this I'd like a broader selection of more durable quality.  Wayfair or IKEA is probably better.  But the suspension of many activities of the spring and fall better enable time to be dedicated to this.  Not hard to do, but need to do it.  Some things of summer are not unique to summer, but seasonally convenient.

So as Memorial Day and Shavuot approach, and I as I reap some of the attention to personal fitness that I've undertaken since the winter, I'm ready to immerse myself in some neglected recreation.  Touring the Christmas Tree Shops generated some useful ideas on how to best do this.


No comments: