Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2022

My Nudgy Projects

Some things just stay on my Daily Task List indefinitely.  Most are not intricate like writing a book or losing weight, though typically components of the grand efforts that can be done in a session or two, helped with a countdown timer.  Finite nature of tasks helps.  I know in advance the morning's treadmill settings and duration.  The dishes needing washing are visible in the sink tub.  Those get attention.  It's the more amorphous initiatives like enhancing my recreation or making my two desks fully usable that finish most day's waiting to be transferred to tomorrow's Daily Task List.

Having an end point helps.  A lot do not.  I want to work on my intended summer travel today and to act in a way that's cheerful and cordial.  Hard to say when I've fulfilled that.  A lot of the indefinite daily postponements involve home maintenance and its upgrades.  It takes minutes to reinstall two screws into dining room chairs but never two minutes of priority.  Sometimes getting something off the Daily Task List should have its own claim to priority.  Gardens need attention most days, but what to do each day often lacks specificity.  Some things need preparation and a big block of time.  That may be why washing the kitchen floor rarely gets checked off despite its clear end point.  

Just Do It the ad said.  Never specified which among many Just Do's to tackle or how to know when you've really Done It.


No comments: