Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Beans Planted

Made a few key garden decisions.  My eggplant, tomato, and pepper seeds all failed.  But failure can be salvaged, sometimes even upgraded.  Since I had to buy plants, I did five different tomato varieties, one outside the front door, each of the other four in the back corners of the backyard beds.  Bought one each of pepper and eggplant, planting each in the garden.  It had been my intent to have four of each, but instead I scaled back to two, starting one of each as another set of indoor seeds, which have sprouted reliably, then transplanting once germinated.  It was not my intent to plant green beans but I had a lot of seeds and extra squares from not having as many peppers and eggplants.  These sprout well but are difficult to thin and harvest so I only put one seed in each hole to avoid thinning.  If some don't take, I have more seeds.  That leaves me two squares of green beans totaling 18 plants.  They are difficult to harvest, with pods appearing and maturing at different times, while the Square Foot Garden pattern bunches beans rather close together.  But some invariably reach my table.

Planting timed nicely to the weather, with a useful overnight shower.  Some neglect the rest of the week so that the seeds can germinate and the transplants take root.  May be ready to start thinning the original seed plantings of beets and lettuce.  

No comments: