Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2022

Still Not Logged Back In


Day 4.  I'm still not logged back in to any Social Media.  FB placed some lures via email but I didn't bite.  Reddit went from my email inbox to Spam unopened.  While the intent of my shunning Social Media has been to recoup some opportunity losses, I'm not yet certain that has happened.  Easy crosswords have become the new go-to time sink.   I would have found treadmill time anyway, because that may be the closest I get to Flow.  My gardens are mostly planted.  I've been giving better attention to really going overseas for my upcoming anniversary, though I probably would not have to carve these efforts out of  the Social Media time sink either.  Writing, which is what I really wanted to do with this time, and which I had done in the form of thoughtful responses, has not flourished at all.

What I really seem to do better are those petty chores of housekeeping, breathing outdoors air while sitting quietly on a county park bench, letting my mind wander, keeping up with the dishes, setting short amounts of fixed times to tidy my bedroom or exchange seasonal clothing, driving not very far like I did during the height of Covid-19 closures for the purpose of not being in my house at my keyboards.

The allure of logging back in and typing the contents of my mind to ho-hum readers or giving response opportunities to trolls has not entirely dissipated.  Much like ex-smokers who often describe themselves as smokers who aren't smoking now, the resistance of the default action of logging in has become part of the achievement.  And unlike the abstinent alcoholic who cannot return to drinking in a controlled way, my purposeful return has been planned in advance.  Just not yet.

No comments: