Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Did Instead


Success.  Went the whole day without opening FB or any other social media.  I got to make some comments via email for a committee question that was posed, but that's legitimated business.  And I didn't open anything other than FB either.  

While I compensate for my inattention by using a countdown timer for many tasks, I do not really know how much time was actually spending on FB et al., though the spies who log my activity do.  As I opened my email the following day, I had invitations subtle and direct telling me something was waiting for me on FB and Reddit.  One notice deleted, the other filed to Spam.

However, time is a constant.  If I am not scrolling and responding, I have to be doing something else.  I went to a park three short times, where I could relax in a breeze while my mind wanders.  Dishes all done.  Winter clothing all put away.  Laundry all done.  Mailbox repair completed once and for all.  Learned some of my next Torah portion.  Social media sinks my mind, but its absence really did not enhance my mind.  I did pleasurable stuff instead, though not taxing stuff.  At least not yet.

It remains my intent to not log on anywhere for a week, with predesignated exceptions for Mother's Day and to convey my next KevinMD article's publication when that happens.  I missed the mindlessness slightly the first day but did not take the bait to return even though it arrived promptly by algorithm.  It also remains my intent to use that alternative time on things that matter a whole lot more than touring the Metaverse.

No comments: